Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How Much of Your Own Food Can You Grow?

This permaculture thing is really giving me some crazy ideas. Can I use my apartment to grow my own food? I googled this and yes it is possible to grow many varieties of food.

Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers, lettuce, Beans, and Spinach all do quite well on a south facing patio.

What about indoors where there isn't much light? Mushrooms!

You can by a kit and grow your own mushrooms. Then with the remains you can grow them in the basement. I am thinking my storage space can become a mushroom growing facility.

This is going to be great! My challenge will be to do set this up without using a car. After all that would waste all that energy and probably mean I would run a deficit.

I'll keep you posted on how this works out as the summer progresses.

No comments: